Monday, September 23, 2013

Getting Healthy & the Fit Bit Band

Since August 26th, when school started, I have been really trying to get us back into "healthy" mode. Since April, when Kendyl broke her leg, we have been pretty lax around here and going out to eat way too much and snacking way too much. I am totally blaming it on her accident because we don't usually eat as horribly as we have been.
 
We are guilty of going out to eat a lot, but not fast food.  We don't really do fast food because it's just so terrible for you.  And we never eat fried foods.  So since August 26th, we've had healthy, home cooked meals every day of the week with the exception of Saturday night, which we usually go out to eat at our "free day."
 
And Matt has been training for a 1/2 marathon so he can't have any sweets so that helps keep us on track.
 
I also plan my menu on Saturday or Sunday for the week and go shopping on Sunday. Then I immediately separate all fruit in single portion sizes in ziplocks or plastic containers so we can easily grab them when we want them. I do this for healthy snacks too, i.e. nuts, grapes, carrots.  When they are ready and easy to grab, it's so easy to stay on track. The only down side is that it takes me hours to do this. But it's well worth it. And once I get in the habit, it's not so bad. 
 
I also make some healthy oatmeal "cookies" every week and freeze them so if we are craving a sweet snack, we can grab one of those. I'll share the recipe soon. I use applesauce instead of oil and molasses and maple syrup instead of sugar. And if you use these substitutes when you are baking, make sure the molasses and maple syrup are the only ingredients on the bottle so it's pure and not loaded with things you can't pronounce and don't need.
 
That said, I'm down 7 lbs! Wahoo! And I feel so much better!
 
We've also been going to the gym in the evenings so Kendyl can work on her leg muscles.  We got a family membership so Matt and I can go too.

 
I've also been doing lots of these.
 
 
And doing this challenge. It's tough! I don't know how I am eventually going to do 250 squats!
 
 
I've got one of these, a Fit Bit Band.  It tracks your steps, calories burned, distance and sleep! Yes, it even knows when you sleep and how many times you get up during the night. I found out my sleep is pitiful. I'm trying to get better at sleeping. haha
It automatically syncs with my computer anytime I walk by the computer - pretty cool!  And the battery lasts for about 5 days. I love it! I highly recommend it. If you are looking for something like this, this is the best bang for your buck.
 
Here's an example of the Fit Bit dashboard. I try to do 10,000 steps a day and burn 2000 calories. I'm pretty successful at burning the calories but can't seem to get 10,000 steps every day.
 
 
 So, that is what we've been doing around here. I'll keep you posted on our progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment